Managing Spot Color Libraries
ZePrA’s spot color module allows to manage spot color libraries and spot colors conveniently. Select the tool Spot Color Libraries from the sidebar to access the window Manage Spot Colors.
Here you can create, add, view and customize libraries. Spot colors can be edited, imported or measured. For example, spot colors from color fans can be measured with a spectrophotometer or Lab values can be entered manually. However, color tables with spot colors can also be imported. Supported formats are Named Color ICC profiles, Photoshop ACO color tables, Adobe ASE color tables (from InDesign or Illustrator), text files in CGATS format or CxF files, such as CxF/X-4.
X-Rite Pantone Color Manager color tables support Named Color ICC profiles, CxF files (there are current Lab values, but no spectral values for Pantone solids), and CGATS-compliant text files.
Note: PantoneLIVE libraries are protected and cannot be edited, extended or removed.
Both lab and spectral color values are supported. Spectral measurement data is preferable as it provides the best results internally.
More information about spot colors can be found under:
A spot color library can contain a multitude of different information in just one library, such as the full tone, tints printed on substrate or black, spectral or Lab measurements and opacity values.
The upper part of the dialog Libraries shows all available libraries and the number of spot colors of a library. Additionally, the revision number and expiry date of PantoneLIVE libraries is displayed (with the PantoneLIVE icon). Login if necessary to update the libraries.
After double-clicking on the selected library the spot colors will be shown in the lower part of the window. In order to improve the performance – especially with extensive and many libraries – spot colors will only be available when they are actually used in the processing of jobs or by double-clicking on a library.
Notes: PantoneLIVE libraries are protected and in ZePrA they can not be edited, extended or removed. The PantoneLIVE dialog for importing Pantone spot colors into ZePrA is available directly in the dialog Spot Color Libraries.
- Select the tool Spot Color Libraries from the sidebar.
- Import existing color tables containing many spot colors by selecting Import under Manage Spot Colors. The formats supported by ZePrA include ACO (Photoshop color tables), Adobe ASE, TXT (text files in CGATS 1.7 format), CxF (Color Exchange Format 3), CxF/X-4 and Named Color ICC-Profiles.
- To create a library from scratch using printed samples, click New, give the library a name and then click New on the lower right of the dialog to open the Edit Spot Color dialog. Each added color will appear in the selected library. Read more about the Edit Spot Color dialog here to learn how to measure spot colors.
Note: The use of PantoneLIVE libraries requires the corresponding access data.
Note: ZePrA does not provide spot color libraries with a fresh install. To obtain spot colors from some applications: Export Adobe Photoshop color tables with Lab color values as ACO files or Adobe InDesign/Illustrator files as ASE. Color tables of the X-Rite Pantone Color Manager can be saved as Named Color ICC profiles or as CxF file (provides current Lab values but no spectral values for Pantone full primaries) and CGATS compliant text files. Another source for spot colors is the PantoneLive eco system.
Exporting Spot Color Libraries from ZePrA
A selected spot color library can be exported. When clicking Export the supported file formats are available (CCF, ACO, ICC, TXT, CxF) to store the library. Note that only the ZePrA internal CCF format allows to save all information that may be in a library. Use the CCF format in case you wish to exchange a library with another ZePrA installation on a different computer. The other more common file formats are mainly included for exchange with other applications. A warning appears for other file formats.
Exporting Spot Colors from ZePrA
There are three ways to Export spot colors:
- In the upper Libraries panel an entire library with all colors can be exported.
- In the panel below (Spot Color from selected Library) a single color from a library can be selected and exported.
- In the Edit Spot Color dialog a single spot color can be exported, too.
- PantoneLIVE libraries and single colors can not be exported.
When clicking Export the supported file formats are available (CCF, ACO, ICC, TXT, CxF) to store the library or a single spot color:
- Only ZePrA’s internal CCF format allows to save all information contained in a library. Use the CCF format to exchange a library with another ZePrA installation on a different computer.
- Use the CxF format to save CxF/X-4 compatible files. An information message shows which CxF/X-4 compatibility level has been exported depending on the data (X-4a, X-4b, full compatibility).
- The other file formats are included to exchange data with other applications. However, the exchange is limited as not all data of a library can be exported using these formats. An information message indicates which data can be lost when using the selected format.